Directs and manages team members and department activities of all mechanical, fluid power, and equipment installation projects and processes. This includes primarily new construction projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible to assure all work of the Mechanical department is completed on schedule, and on budget.
- Work with other members of the leadership team in the project bidding/quoting/estimating process. This involves using technical expertise to estimate budget and schedule for the Mechanical department portion of all projects (new build or repair).
- Prepare time phased headcount requirements for all work in the shipyard as well as projects being quoted.
- Effective and efficient allocation of mechanical trades across the shipyard to support advancement of all projects per their respective schedule (we are not a one-project-at-a-time shipyard).
- Work with Engineering Department for print review, modification, or discussion.
- Work with department coordinators and employees to improve the engine room layout, mechanical system installation plan, and system installation processes.
- Mentors, coaches, directs, and evaluates all mechanical department team members.
- Work with Human Resources and the Director of Manufacturing to determine and fulfill department staffing needs.
- Communicates with Engineering throughout the build or repair process of all projects.
- Communicates and works with other manufacturing department heads and especially the Purchasing department to assure the sourcing, selection, ordering, and receiving of all materials, systems, and equipment needed by the Mechanical department for each project.
- Review the daily employee timesheets.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Ensure that all Mechanical milestones are met.
- Evaluate progress and provide estimates of work hours remaining and completion dates.
- Determine ways to control wasted time and materials.
- Encourage ideas and innovation to control production cost and reduce warranty issues.
- Ensure all machinery is commissioned and operational.
- Ensure production drawings are reviewed prior to construction and feedback regarding clarity, content, ideas, or issues are provided.
- Provide technical support as required.
- Ensure the mechanical work is in accordance with Burger Boat Company standards of quality and workmanship.
- Ensure workspaces are maintained in safe, clean, and orderly condition.
Responsible for managing, leading, and coaching all members of the Mechanical team.
Exercise judgment on a regular and continuous basis and assume responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people and quality of service within the operational area.
Must demonstrate the ability to work in a team environment. Must possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Must possess the ability to communicate positively and effectively with management, employees, co-workers, suppliers, and vendors.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. In lieu of a bachelor’s degree, an Associate degree in a mechanical field, and a minimum of 5 years hands-on experience is required.
- Prior experience managing direct reports required.
- Ability to read and work from blueprints.
- Advanced working knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Prior experience within the shipbuilding industry preferred.
- Prior experience and training in Lean Manufacturing preferred.
- Knowledge of or experience with engineering software like CAD, 3-D Modeling, and the Micro-Soft Suite is preferred
This description is a general summary of the required skills and major duties and responsibilities of the position. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply, please click here to access our online application
or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.